Thursday, September 8, 2011

Anne of the Island


   I forgot how much I love the 'Anne of Green Gables' series, until I started reading the abridged version of 'Anne of Green Gables' to Lacey. It inspired me to begin re-reading some of the books that I have, and I have discovered that Anne and I are truly 'kindred spirits'. I'm actually very 'Anneish'  on the inside, and I have always been able to relate so well to Anne's thoughts and feelings, especially in this book as she is growing up and looking back on her life. But, I think the thing that struck me the most, as I was going back through this classic, is the abundance of spiritual wisdom that L.M.M. has tucked so naturally into its pages, unlike alot of modern authors whose spiritual quips seem forced and scripted. One in particular sparked a great deal of thought and reflection, and I wanted to share it with you all. It is one of the few truly tragic parts in the series, but is also very profound.

   Anne sat in a pain that was almost intolerable. She could not tell comforting falsehoods; and all that Ruby said was so horribly true. She was leaving everything she cared for. [Ruby] had laid up her treasures on earth only; she had lived solely for the little things of life -the things that pass- forgetting  the great things that go onward into eternity, bridging the gulf between the two lives and making of death a mere passing from one dwelling to another -from twilight to unclouded day...  Anne walked home very slowly in the moonlight. The evening had changed something for her... When she came she came to the end of one life, it must not be to face the next with the shrinking terror of something wholly different- something for which accoustomed  thought and ideal and aspiration had unfitted her. The little things of life, sweet and excellent in their place, must not be the things lived for; the highest must be sought and followed; the life of heaven must be begun here on earth.
                                          - Anne of the Island

2 comments:

Linda said...

May I say, most excellent!

Lindsey Elise said...

Thank you, though it was really L.M.M.'s words!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...