Tuesday, December 11, 2012

From the Archives~ What Manner of Person Ought I To Be?


(This is my second post in my "From the Archives" series. It was originally published on August 26, 2011.)


10 But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night, in which the heavens will pass away with a great noise, and the elements will melt with fervent heat; both the earth and the works that are in it will be burned up. 
11 Therefore, since all these things will be dissolved, what manner of persons ought you to be in holy conduct and godliness,
                                                2 Peter 3:10-11 

    I don't know about you, but these verses hit me right between the eyes. I mean, I've always known the concept behind them, but having it so clearly laid out really brought it home. I heard an expression once, I can't remember the exact wording, that talked about people going to heaven smelling like smoke, because everything that they did here was burned up, it didn't count!

      So, I started thinking, what manner of person ought I to be? How does God want me to live my life, so that when I stand before Him one day to give an account, I don't 'smell like smoke'? And God, in all of His faithfulness, has used these last few days to show me ways that I need to grow in Him and redeem the time that He has given me. Now, I'm not going to go into the things that He has taught me in this post, I may later. I just want to encourage you to join me as I search my heart, and together we can  ask ourselves, "what manner of person ought we to be?"

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...