Monday, May 23, 2011

Treasures

                              Treasures
                        Martha Snell Nicholson

                     One by one He took them from me,
                     All the things I valued most,
                     Until I was empty-handed;
                     Every glittering toy was lost,

                     And I walked earth's highways, grieving,
                     In my rags and poverty,        
                     Till I heard His voice inviting,
                    "Lift your empty hands to Me!"

                     So I held my hands toward heaven,
                     And He filled them with a store,
                     Of His own transcendent riches,
                     Till they could contain no more.

                     And at last I comprehended,
                     With my stupid mind and dull,
                     That God COULD not pour His riches
                     Into hands already full!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

What a beautiful (and true!) poem!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...