Friday, February 24, 2012

Seeking Wisdom

   So that you incline your ear to wisdom,
And apply your heart to understanding;
   If you seek her as silver,
And search for her as for hidden treasures;
   Then you will understand the fear of the Lord,
And find the knowledge of God.
                          -Proverbs 2:2,4-5


   It has always been my philosophy, that wisdom comes with age and experience, and that I may have some wisdom, but until I was really old, I could only have a small measure. I had never seen anything to challenge that philosophy until recently. In fact, all that I had heard from others, and seen for myself confirmed that view of wisdom! Until I met up with the word of God, that is. I have highlighted (or bolded, but I don't think that's a word) some of the words in the verses above this, and if you have even a rudimentary knowledge of English, you should see a pattern in them. Exactly, they are all action verbs! God does not want us to passively for wisdom to find us, but He desires for us to 'search for her as for hidden treasures'. Isn't this exciting? We can do something about becoming wise!
   I also wanted to share some ways that I am going to use in my search for wisdom, just to get you started thinking.
         1.) The 'Five Fat Files' system- Elisabeth George recommends this system in her book "A Woman After God's Own Heart". The way it works is, you take five manilla file folders and on each of them write a topic that you want to learn more about. (My topics are: Biblical Femininity, Prayer, Health with a Biblical perspective, Time Management and Purity. Just to give you some ideas!) Then you read books on these topics, look up verses on them, listen to lectures on them, ask experts and I'm sure you can think of many other ways. As you glean information about each of your topics, you put it into your folders, and make them nice and thick! 
          2.) I am currently learning the Inductive Bible Study Method, from Kay Arthur's book, "The New, How to Study Your Bible". It is the most effective method of Bible study, and is relatively simple to learn. Since the Bible has the best wisdom you can find, learning a method of Bible Study, will be a huge benefit in your search for wisdom!
      What are some other ways you can think of to 'incline' your ear to wisdom? I would really love to hear some more great ideas for seeking wisdom, so feel free to comment! 





No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...