Tuesday, October 11, 2011

The Case for Hymns

O God, our help in ages past, 
 our hope for years to come, 
 our shelter from the stormy blast, 
 and our eternal home. 
I have a thing for hymns. Not that I don't like contemporary Christian music, because I do. I just don't think that anything can top a good hymn! Now, most of my generation would disagreewith me on this point, and I'm fine with that, in fact, I'm used to getting strange looks when I admit that I don't listen to theradio. But,I'd like to speak to my generation anyway, and make a case for hymns.It's common knowledge that the best way to learn about a culture is to read it's literature, and I would venture to say that the same is true about hymns. Alot of times we look at the past generations and sigh, because they seemed to have so much victory in their lives and were always so strong, and we despairof ever being like them. We grow discouraged because we will neverknow how to live such full,beautiful lives. I would disagree with that! The great Christians of old have left behind them, the 'secret' to unlocking the victorious life,in the form of hymns. If you really look at the words you are singing, instead of dwelling on the (to your mind) boring tune, you would realize the incredible power and glory that the hymns attribute to God, and the wondrous things that the writers have witnessed through that power! You would learnof the rewards of complete sacrifice and acceptance. You would hearfirst hand accounts of the joys of following Jesus! I truly believe that if more of my generation would realize the treasure trove that is the hymnal, we might see more of the spirit of the great men of old here again.And that would be an incredible sight!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...